Sabrina Smith Receives 2013 Outstanding Graduate/Professional Award

Smith_SabrinaSabrina Smith received the 2013 Outstanding Graduate/Professional Student Award on April 12th at the Ohio Union Performance Hall. A second year medical student, Sabrina is being recognized by the Ohio Union and Office of Student Life for her commitment to leadership and positive impact on The Ohio State community.

Originally from the Detroit area, Sabrina received her bachelor’s degree from Vanderbilt University, where she majored in Chemistry and minored in French. Her decision to attend The Ohio State University College of Medicine was thoughtful and strategic.

“I chose Ohio State for a variety of reasons, from the location closer to my hometown to the Columbus Free Clinic – it was important to me that I find a school that offered strong community service opportunities and a chance for early patient interaction. But I think what sealed the deal was the way I felt when I interviewed and attended Second Look Weekend. I really felt like OSU gave me the best balance of academics, experience and lifestyle. I felt at home here, and I still do!”

Sabrina’s credentials outside of the classroom are laudable and numerous, so it is easy to see why she was selected for the Outstanding Graduate/Professional Student Award. Most notably, she is currently one of 250 participants in the 2012-13 Albert Schweitzer Fellowship, a nationwide community service program for graduate and professional students. During her fellowship, she partnered with the Central Ohio Diabetes Association and Capital City Kids to provide kids in afterschool programs with healthy living lessons. She preaches a 5210! model to the youngsters – 5 servings of fruits and veggies, 2 hours max of TV time, 1 hour of physical activity, and 0 sweetened beverages each day.

In addition to the Schweitzer Fellowship, Sabrina serves on the Board for Med Paws, volunteers with the College of Veterinary Medicine and also volunteers at the Columbus Free Clinic.

“One of my favorite activities is volunteering at the Free Clinic. I have spent a good amount of time there over the past two years. The physicians that volunteer there are inspiring people, and I hope to work with free clinics throughout my career as well.”

Sabrina excels inside the classroom as well. She was in the top 25% of her 1st year class and is hopeful that she will crack the top 10% this year. Sabrina also participates in research activities within the College’s Department of Radiology, and she also spent last summer researching at Virginia Commonwealth University in the Department of Pediatrics.

What all these accomplishments and achievements inside and outside the classroom mean is this: Sabrina meshes intellect with ambition and altruism. She is a leader, and she is receiving this award because she has distinguished herself as such.

“To me, leadership means taking initiative, taking chances, and taking time. This award means a lot to me because it highlights the impact that my time and effort have made on the community and on my own life. It also reminds me of the amazing support I have had along the way.”